Historic 1860’s Carriage House Conversion – Falmouth, MA

Renovation of 1860 Carriage House to Family’s Summer Retreat

Cape Cod Architect & Builder

As Featured by Parker Kelley on CBS4/New England Living TV 

  • Location ~ Falmouth, MA

  • Scope ~ Permitting for Historic Renovation, Excavation, Architectural Design, Multiple Kitchens & Bath Designs, Custom Architectural Cabinetry & Millwork, Flooring, Windows, Doors, Lighting.

Completed in 2018, the Waterside project in Falmouth, MA was a full renovation of a historic 1860’s carriage house into a spectacular summer retreat for a family who spends nine months of the year overseas. What made this project spectacular is the care and detail that went into the repurposing of architectural design elements such as barn doors, rod-iron horse stall dividers, and even a copper water spigot from the original structure that was used to house the family’s horses.

Many Cape Cod historic structures were built on a small footprint, thus creating a design challenge for a modern family. Although Waterside is situated on a beautiful lot with ocean views from every room, the width of the original carriage house was roughly 40′ wide. This challenge presented our architectural designers with an opportunity for creative uses of available space. A dual-purpose pantry/passageway lined with Longfellow custom cabinetry from the kitchen to the main entry and a 10.6″ long kitchen island, sporting a curved dark walnut island top with a marine oil finish both add character and charm to the home

Working with our designers, homeowners chose beautiful natural materials and finishes that work well with the original rustic, brick and rod iron elements such as a copper range hood and pendant lamps while also maintaining a contemporary updated feel.

A guest suite is connected to the main house with a bookcase lined corridor reminiscent of a ship’s gangway. The guest kitchen island and bathroom vanity both provide a refreshing pop of color with Ralph Loren Club Navy – Riveling the blue of adjacent Vineyard Sound.

IMG_20170516_161654IMG_20170516_162233IMG_20170516_162732IMG_20170516_162927IMG_20170516_162957IMG_20170516_163045IMG_20170611_091541LDB-05LDB-01LDB-03LDB-16LDB-04LDB-11LDB-14LBD-17LDB-10LDB-000LDB-000 3LDB-000 4LDB-000 5LDB-000 6LDB-000 79566w_4sp_ft-e3 (1)2018-06-06 16.47.06 copyLDB-WATERSIDE-100 23LDB-WATERSIDE-100 43LDB-WATERSIDE-100 25LDB-WATERSIDE-100 10LDB-WATERSIDE-100 27LDB-WATERSIDE-100 24LDB-WATERSIDE-100 9LDB-WATERSIDE-100 22LDB-WATERSIDE-100 44LDB-WATERSIDE-100 13LDB-WATERSIDE-100 17LDB-WATERSIDE-100 18LDB-WATERSIDE-100 40LDB-WATERSIDE-100 31LDB-WATERSIDE-100 39LDB-WATERSIDE-100 41LDB-WATERSIDE-100 21LDB-WATERSIDE-100 14LDB-WATERSIDE-100 15LDB-WATERSIDE-100 16LDB-WATERSIDE-100 20LDB-WATERSIDE-100 19LDB-WATERSIDE-100 42waterside11LDB-Waterside-000935

HISTORY

James Madison Beebe was a dry goods magnate from Boston and in 1866 Eben Jordan of the famed Jordan Marsh bought his business. James Beebe passed on in 1875 and his children created a hundred acre farm on Shore Street and built Waterside in 1876 overlooking vineyard sound. The farm was broken up for development in 1932. Beebe’s daughter Frances married George J. Fiske, a former business partner of her father, and had two children, of whom we know very little. Frances, a widow by 1868, inherited a summer home off Shore Street in Falmouth from her father’s estate. It is the large red shingle-style “cottage” (Waterside) that still fronts Vineyard Sound today. There is no record that she had much else to do with the Beebe family.

BEFORE PHOTOS

  • Waterside Before
  • Carriage House Restoration Before